HackHLTH is the premier hackathon for the healthcare ecosystem, bringing together the most passionate developers, designers, and entrepreneurs with the most forward thinking sponsors, to solve the industry’s toughest problems. With healthcare at a critical point, the need for new products and services to move forward, faster and more effectively, is more important than ever.
Participants will have 36 hours to collaborate and create meaningful solutions, with the 8 most impactful projects sharing more that $80,000 in prizes.
The industry is looking to you to accelerate innovation and drive meaningful change locally and globally. Register now and join us in Vegas from May 4-6 on our mission to reshape healthcare.
This year, we have gathered some of the worlds most recognizable healthcare companies that will present challenges to stimulate your hacking skills and inspire creative solutions to hopefully improve healthcare . Challenges can be unlocked soon here.
Developers, designers and entrepreneurs who are passionate about driving rapid change.
Friday through Sunday, May 4-6, 2018
The ARIA, Las Vegas
$80,000 Awarded by HLTH + Optional Sponsor Awards (max of $10,000 value each)
- Free tickets for entire team to HLTH conference
- Exhibit space in HLTH exhibit hall to share your winning solution with the industry
- Present at HLTH’s “Startup Pitch” program, in front of investors, media and other stakeholders from the healthcare ecosystem. This 3-minute pitch will then determine if they become a finalist, competing for the grand prize on HLTH’s main stage, Tuesday, May 8, 2018.
- (3) $10,000 prizes
- (4) $5,000 prizes
- $2500 in gift cards for the winning team
- Exciting tech gadgets for each participant
- $500 of tech credits AND extended access to athenaNet preview environment to power your solution through the next stages of development
- 4 months of co-working space in our inspiring Watertown digs – build out your idea with full access to our sweet perks, from Wifi to unlimited coffee to community kitchens. You’ll also get to work side-by-side with some of healthcare’s most innovative technology startups!
- VIP invitation to an athenahealth flagship conference: cruise interactive sessions and hang out with some of the smartest tech leaders and digital health entrepreneurs
- Inclusion in the MDP network, complete with exclusive passes to some of the most popular events hosted by us
- And of course, priceless fulfillment – from helping to solve one of healthcare’s toughest challenges!
$10,000 to be split amongst the team.
Each member of the winning team will be awarded an all-expenses paid trip for 3 days (2 nights) to Helix HQ, located in San Carlos, California, between Silicon Valley and San Francisco. The winning team will have the opportunity to present their concept to Helix executives and staff.
- Roundtrip coach-class airfare from a major airport in or near winner’s city of residence to San Francisco International airport.
- Hotel accommodations (one (1) standard double occupancy room) in the city of San Francisco for up to two nights
In addition to travel to Helix HQ the winning team will also receive:
- $5,000 in cash to be split amongst all members of the team
- $1,000 in Helix DNA products for each winning team member
Office of the Chief Technology Officer, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Prize
- $150 in Amazon gift cards for each participant of the winning team
- Day 1: Trip to majestic Madison, WI — the land of beer, cheese, and health IT.
- Hosted by Redox, the leading developer platform for healthcare interoperability.
- Shadow key members of the team (depending on who is most applicable)
- Meet with Redox leadership to understand key aspects of how we got to where we are: product vision, go-to-market strategies and experiments, our approach to marketing, building and managing a remote team, intentionally creating culture.
- Dinner & Brewery/Distillery Tour(s) with Redox founders
- Optional: https://www.epic.com/visiting
- Day 2: Additional trip to Chicago for Redox user event
- Travel, Lodging, and food provided.
- Redox will set up meetings with top health tech accelerators and investors including TMCx, Healthbox, Dreamit Health, .406 Ventures, HealthX Ventures.
- VIP passes to any Redox events/parties for one year.
- Your application can be listed on the Redox Gallery
- A VIP four-day prize trip to visit Softheon’s headquarters and an awesome weekend in New York City!
- Rub elbows with tech leaders and become immersed in Softheon’s culture while visiting the Big Apple.
- Each day, you’ll find tech talks, product demos, networking opportunities with Softheon’s CEO, and a few surprises.
- Welcome dinner reception with Softheon’s CEO and tech leaders
- Hotel Accommodations
- Airfare and transportation
- Tickets to a Broadway show
- Private tour of New York City
- Farewell dinner reception at a top NYC restaurant
- $2000 cash prize to be split amongst the winning team.
- $250 in TokBox credits for each member of the winning team and each member of the runner-up team (enabling 900 hours of live video interaction each).
- Open invitation for all winning team members to visit TokBox in San Francisco and present their solution to TokBox developers and executives, with a one-night hotel stay and breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
- Published articles and social media promotion of the winning and runner-up use-cases, applications and teams.
|Featuring data from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services|
Make it personal. Using sponsor technology and your unique skills, build something you’re passionate about that will foster better health for your family, friends community or the world.
Challenge: Eliminate physician burnout
Have you ever been at the doctor’s office sitting there while they stare away clicking through screens and pecking away at a keyboard?
Today’s technology has done wonders for data capture, but it often gets in the doctor’s way of a meaningful connection with the patients. Seldom do we pause to consider what the doctor might be going through. High costs, heightened documentation, clunky software, and siloed information are keeping our doctors from doing the work they love to do—care for patients. More so, they’re causing stress, burnout, exhaustion, and depression in doctors, worsening projected physician shortage and having far-reaching consequences for care teams, patients, and the greater healthcare system.
We’re challenging you to find ways to break down those barriers and introduce a frictionless workflow into doctors’ day-to-days. Think through solutions that will remove burden from physicians’ lives, enable them to feel more capable in tackling their workloads, improve their experience, and empower them to be more present in moments of care. We want you to move past the dictation and voice assistant capabilities we’re already seeing in market and innovate in ways and spaces still unclaimed.
Some of the areas your solution could focus on include:
- Killing the time it takes for doctors to complete documentation after work (1-2 hours at home after already long and stressful shifts)
- Surfacing only the most important notifications for doctors every day (vs. the average 77 pings they get today)
- Reducing the number of administrative hands that patient information has to touch to move from hospital to hospital
- Driving collaboration efficiency amongst the care team
- Alleviating physician shortages in underserved markets
- Improving the health and wellbeing of clinicians by helping restore joy in practicing medicine
We’ve got a lot of work to do, so let’s get started. Use athenahealth APIs to beat burnout with innovative solutions.
Helix empowers developers to find novel ways to use genetic data. In a world where you have full access to your genomic data, what apps would you have a use for using that data? What services would you like to have the ability to leverage your genetic data for the ultimate personalized experience? Create an experience centered on genetic data to help somebody live a happier and healthier life everyday.
For example, your experience could:
- Provide insights on health or predisposition to certain conditions given genetic information and family history (e.g. heart disease risk or hereditary cancer risk)
- Create custom diet plans around micro and macro nutrients based on a person’s ability to metabolize certain nutrients by looking at their DNA
- Recommend diet and exercise routines by looking at genetics around BMI, obesity, and saturated fats
- Ancestry composition based on comparing your DNA to DNA from global populations
- User data collection for use in a research study
Office of the Chief Technology Officer, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Challenge
Opioid-involved deaths are continuing to increase in the United States. More than three out of five drug overdose deaths involve an opioid. Combating the opioid crisis is a priority for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Treatment Track: In addressing the opioid epidemic, HHS is focused on improving access to treatment and recovery services and promoting evidence-based approaches to reduce opioid overdoses, overdose-related mortality, and the prevalence of opioid use disorder. How can you help federal, state, and local stakeholders improve access to effective treatment and recovery services?
- Usage Track: One of HHS’s key priorities in responding to the opioid epidemic is to strengthen its understanding of the epidemic through better public health data and reporting. A critical element of this understanding relates to knowing who is at risk for opioid misuse or abuse. How can you help federal, state, and local stakeholders identify at-risk populations and their underlying risk characteristics of opioid misuse or abuse?
- Prevention Track: HHS and public health officials across the country are committed to ensuring preventative resources and overdose-reversing drugs are made available to the public. To adequately supply and position resources, federal, state, and local stakeholders are faced with the complex challenge of predicting and identifying the supply of the full range of opioids contributing to the crisis. How can you help federal, state, and local stakeholders predict and analyze the supply and movement of legal and illicit opioids?
Challenge: For top healthcare organizations, the goals of healthcare IT are often framed around the Quadruple Aim:
1. Improve the patient experience
2. Improve efficiency of care delivery
3. Improve the health of the population
4. Improve the provider experience
Create a tool that uses data-driven metrics to support how you’re meeting 1 or more of these goals. In order to make sure that your patient’s primary care team understands the services your providing or information, you’re collecting, use Redox to integrate your information into their workflow.
Participants of Softheon’s challenge may select one or multiple of the following:
Option 1: Machine Learning
There are many unexplored ways to collect data. Using machine learning, we invite you to create a dynamic UI form to collect information from healthcare consumers and store information from each session. This could be driven from a state transition graph also known as a deterministic finite automaton (DFA).
For example, your solution could:
- Ask a series of questions, where answers drive the following questions
- Aggregate data and learn from it
- Make enhancements to the form automatically to enhance the UI experience.
Option 2: Wallet API
The Softheon Wallet is a RESTful web service designed to enable applications to securely and easily accept payments while minimizing your PCI-DSS scope.
Our API has pragmatic, resource-oriented URLs, and leverages standard HTTP response codes and messages to indicate API errors. We also use standard HTTP verbs and authentication schemes, which are easily used by built-in HTTP clients available in most development languages as well as stand-alone clients, such as cURL and Postman.
The Softheon Wallet uses a process known as tokenization to capture sensitive payment card or bank account information, store it securely, and return a reference token that can be used to make future payments. The tokenization process can enable your application to accept customer payments without ever having their sensitive payment card information touch your servers.
For this challenge, create a solution that uses this technology to help consumers make a payment using a non-traditional device.
- Voice Assistant – Google Assistant, Alexa, Siri, Cortana
Option 3: Enterprise API
The Enterprise API is a RESTful web service designed to interact with core resources of Softheon. Our API has pragmatic, resource-oriented URLs, and leverages standard HTTP response codes and
messages to indicate API errors. We also use standard HTTP verbs and authentication schemes, which are easily used by built-in HTTP clients available in most programming languages as well as stand-alone clients, such as cURL and Postman.
The API uses OAuth2 bearer token authentication. You will need to request tokens using the Softheon Identity API before you can invoke the Enterprise API.
For this challenge, use the Enterprise API as a content management repository for the Wallet API.
- Create an administrative portal for storing payment transactions as entities in Softheon.
- Store user shopping habits and geolocation to identify shopping trends on a given website.
- Now’s your chance to use your skills and data insights to build the future of healthcare – and win some great prizes.
With rising healthcare costs and a huge demand for quality care, telemedicine and telehealth solutions are becoming increasingly important. TokBox makes it easy to add HIPAA-compliant live video and voice into any iOS, Android or Web JS app, making communications within telehealth services seamless. TokBox is used today within major telehealth apps including InTouch Health, One Medical, BetterHelp, Babylon, Doxy.me, and many more
Use cases for TokBox Live Video APIs in telehealth apps include:
- Virtual Visits
- Group Therapy
- Support for Visually Impaired
- Device monitoring
- Augmented reality
TokBox challenges HackHLTH developers to embed Live Video communications within their apps to drive better health outcomes, particularly for groups and extended participants beyond the usual doctor/patient type interaction.
TokBox Live Video is an easily integratable complement for teams also competing for other prizes – use TokBox as a UX component within your overall healthcare solution. Learn more about our APIs at tokbox.com/hackathon and use promo code HLTH18.
Pre-Event: Live and recorded virtual meet-up to prep “hackers” for the main event!
Friday, May 4:
7:00 PM PDT Happy Hour at ARIA, Juniper 2
Saturday, May 5:
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM: Registration Opens
9:00 AM – 11:00 AM: Breakfast
11:00 AM – 11:15 AM: Opening Announcements and Coding Begins
11:15 AM – 11:45 AM: Sponsor Pitches
11:30 AM – 12:00 PM: Attendee Pitches
12:00 PM – 2:00 PM: Lunch and Networking
1:00 PM – 4:30 PM: Sponsor Breakout Sessions
6:00 PM – 8:00 PM: Dinner
8:00 PM: Pitch Workshop
11:00 PM – 1:00 AM: Midnight Snack
Sunday, May 6:
6:30 AM – 8:30 AM: Breakfast
11:00 AM: Submission Deadline, Coding Ends
11:15 PM – 1:15 PM: Lunch
12:00 PM – 2:30 PM: Round 1 Demos
2:30 PM – 3:15 PM: Judges Deliberation
3:15 PM – 4:45 PM: Final Demos
4:45 PM – 5:30 PM: Judges Deliberate
5:30 PM – 6:00 PM: HackHLTH Opening Keynote
6:00 PM – 6:30 PM: Winners & Awards
Developers, designers, and entrepreneurs are eligible to receive up to a $125 travel stipend (details below). Limited seating available so be sure to register early.
The registration fee for HackHLTH: $10
Registration for HLTH 2018 is separate from HackHLTH. If you would like to register for HLTH 2018 please click here.
The winning team will join HLTH’s “Startup Pitch” program, presenting their solution in front of investors, media and other stakeholders from the healthcare ecosystem. This 3-minute pitch will then determine if they become a finalist, competing for the grand prize on HLTH’s main stage, Tuesday, May 8, 2018.
*Please note that you must be 18 years old to participate in HackHLTH.
Sunday, May 6
A one-on-one session between the team presenting its solution, and the judges from the Challenge sponsor for whom the solution was developed (e.g., Challenge sponsor “x” will judge team submissions for their/its challenge). Each sponsoring company will select its two finalists to advance to Round 2.
Sunday, May 6
The top 16 teams, two from each sponsoring company, will present in the HLTH General Session Ballroom, with full A/V support, in front of our panel of judges. The presentations will be open to all HLTH attendees.
Each submission will be scored based on the following criteria with a minimum score of 0 and a maximum score of 20 points. The final score will be the average of the judges’ scores:
IMPACT (5 Points)
Is there a real value for this team’s solution?
SIMPLICITY (5 Points)
Can this solution be easily explained and how simple is it to use in the healthcare space?
CREATIVITY (5 Points)
How innovative was the solution that was presented in response to this challenge?
DESIGN (5 Points)
Would you consider the design appealing and intuitive?
Travel Stipend (For HACKHLTH Participants)
HACKHLTH will provide a $125 Travel Stipend to qualified participants with a cap of actual expenses incurred for travel and lodging.
To qualify, developers, designers and entrepreneurs must do ALL of the below:
- Check-in onsite to the HackHLTH
- Submit a project
- Demo to the judges on Sunday, May 6, 2018
All receipts such as airfare, gas and lodging must have the attendee’s name on them. Receipts must reflect the dates of May 1-5, 2018. Only travel to/from the HLTH Hackathon and hotel stay during the event will be reimbursed up to a total of $125. Further instructions to come.
HackHLTH Fresh Code:
All code developed as part of the HackHLTH must be FRESH. Before the start of the HackHLTH, developers can create wireframes, designs and user flows. They can also come with hardware. But to keep things fair, all code must be written onsite at the HackHLTH.
IP Ownership at HackHLTH:
Participants own the rights to their work. Please keep in mind that sponsoring companies may have their own terms and conditions for proprietary technology or content.
HackHLTH Participation Agreement:
Participants in HackHLTH are required to sign an agreement either prior to the show during registration, or upon arrival.
Have questions about HLTH’s HackHLTH? email@example.com